Monday, January 31, 2011

Did I do it? Week 5

I'm sure everyone is just sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if I moved on to week 5, and if I did, was I able to run for 20 minutes straight?  Let's start with the first part of the question.  I did move on to week 5.  This week, each day was a different program. Of course, each day starts with a 5 minute warm up and ends with a 5 minute cool down.  Here's week 5:

Day 1: Jog 5 minutes ~ Walk 3 minutes ~ Jog 5 minutes ~ Walk 3 minutes ~ Jog 5 Minutes
Day 2: Jog 8 minutes ~ Walk 5 minutes ~ Jog 8 minutes
Day 3: Jog 20 minutes


Day 1 I did pretty good.  I was pretty tired by the end of it, but I survived.  Day 2 I did on my home treadmill instead of at work.  Oddly enough, it seemed as if I was moving a lot faster at home at 4.3 miles an hour that I move at work, so I slowed down to 4.0 when jogging.  It survived this one while watching Oprah (you have any idea how hard it is to tear up and cry at 4.0 MPH?)  The first 8 minute run was going well, but the second one it felt like my legs just didn't want to get going again after walking.  I almost thought it would have been easier on my legs to just keep running the whole time.

So...did I survive Day 3?  Mostly.  At about 13 minutes, I stopped the treadmill and took a breather for about 30 seconds to one minute.  Then I continued on and finished the 20 minutes. 

The new question is - do I continue on to week 6, or do I re-do week 5 since I didn't run straight through?  I don't know what week 6 holds other than a 25 minute jog on day 3.  If I couldn't do 20 minutes, what makes me think I can do 25?  After chatting with a runner at work who has been very encouraging for me, she told me I should move on to week 6.  She told me that only having to stop for a minute during the whole 20 minutes was awesome.  She's like my own personal cheerleader :)

Tomorrow I will start week 6.  Already dreading the 25 minute jog.

No comments:

Post a Comment