Thursday, January 19, 2012

Room for Improvement

What a rough week!

Monday I spent the day in bed, sick with some stomach bug.  Tuesday I really wasn't feeling up to par, so I didn't go to the gym.  Wednesday my elder child came down with the same stomach bug, so I didn't go to work (or the gym, which is at work).  Today I finally was able to go to work and felt up to going to the gym.  So I started Week 4 of the Couch to 5k training today.  As my title says...there is room for improvement.  The program this week is to run 3 mins, walk 90 secs, run 5 mins, walk 3 mins.  I couldn't even do the first 3 minute run, which is what I did all last week!  I had to stop and walk a number of times.  It was a little discouraging, but I think there are a few good reasons--excuses?--for my issues.
  • I spent the good part of two days not feeling well and not eating much
  • This is my first day of exercise in 6 days
  • I didn't drink any water all day before I went to the gym
And the pants I was wearing were too hot for indoor running, although I'm pretty sure I could have worked through that one.

I'm scheduled to go to the gym tomorrow, but I haven't decided if I'm going to do the Couch to 5k training again (you are supposed to have at least one day of rest between each day) or do something else.  Either way I have to go to the gym to meet my ShapeUp to TrimDown challenge at work.  I need two more days this week of 20 minutes or more of exercise.

So, I may only do two days of Week 4 this week.  If I do that I'm pretty sure I will repeat Week 4.  The end of Week 5 is a 20 minute run...not sure if I'm ready for that or not.  Might be time to slow my speed down on the treadmill a little!

Until next time, Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment